Friday, August 13, 2010

DAY 3 of A PILGRIMAGE

Day 3


Another late morning- jet lag is still evident, but the good news is that it doesn't matter. I can come and go as I please- the one joy of traveling alone.

While walking to the cathedral, I stopped at a boulangerie. At this quaint bread shop, I purchased a quiche lorraine to go. I strolled down the cobblestone road eating my mini quiche to go. These french have a great menu to go.


Yesterday, I noticed an older gentleman singing/begging inside the gate of the cathedral. I ignored him. Last night, I read about him and how engaging he is when you strike up a conversation. Today I decided to talk to him. He began to sing as I placed 1 Euro in his shell. I kid you not, he was asking for "donations" with a shell. He had a brilliant smile, a tenor voice and french way about him. He sang me a song and then handed me a stem of lavender. Oh how I love the smell of lavender. I walked into the cathedral with the scent of lavender in the air. Now when I smell lavender in the future, I will be transported back to this place.


Many people were around so I sat down in the back of the cathedral and worked on my journal which asks me probing questions about my experiences so far. The books I found have helped me mentally prepare for this prigrimage and continue to engage me on so many levels. Today was a day to face my shortcomings which haunt me and realize that GOD loves me no matter what and that I am forgiven by asking. It is not pleasant to face our sins; just like yesterday it wasn't fun to face my fears, but it is totally necessary to move to a new spiritual place with GOD. HE can't reach me as deeply as HE wants to if I am carrying around so much baggage. So I confessed all my sins and asked GOD to deal with them. Nothing I have been doing has helped me. So HE took them and in the process wiped me clean. I believe this to be a good exchange for me.


Since so many people were milling around, I decided to take a tour of the crypts. La crypte de cathedral de chartres sounds a bit spooky, but I am determined to see it all. The tour was in french. I am getting use to hearing french as background music while picking out a word or two in the mix. Part of the crypt dates back to the 4th century. According to legend, the fortress well was the final resting place of martyred saints like St. Modeste who went against her roman governor father and sided with the christians. He had no mercy for her and she was thrown into the well. The Vikings also used it during the raids of 858AD. A romanesque cathedral was built on top of the crypt foundations. After the fire of 1194, the gothic cathedral was built on the site using the few walls and most of the royal portal facade that had survived.


Walking on these ancient stones connects me to all the fellow believers who came before. They have been worshipping in these spaces for over 1600 years with the present cathedral intact for 800 years. A lot of prayers, tears, laughter & joy contained in these walls. Our tour group was taken into a side crypt constructed in 858. Some of the columns date to the 4 century. As I was taking my last photo shots, the lights turned off. In an instant, all was back. I hurried to the entrance gate as she was locking up. Wouldn't have wanted to spend the night there. The air was 10 degrees colder.


From there, we walked the path of many pilgrims as we took the ancient stairs to the cathedral above. This journey is said to resemble our walk from earth to heaven. The cathedral is designed to represent the new Jerusalem.


The cathedral was quiet and less crowded. I walked up the middle aisle and stopped on the 6 point rose petal of the labyrinth. The rosette is the destination. This spiritual practice of meditation has been around for centuries. I hope it makes a resurrection in this day and time. There is a website that helps you find the closest one to where you live. I found that Melpkin Abby in Summerville is closest to me. Nancy and I walked it a month ago. If you want more info on this unique way to worship, let me know.


I stood in the middle and looked at the cathedral in all directions. In my studies of labyrinths, I have come across a prayer to say at each petal. I have edited it to make it user friendly. The prayer uses the Lord's prayer to deepen the meditation experience. I have sent this prayer along in an attachment if you are interested in using it by itself. I have had a brilliant idea. When I get home, I plan to draw the rose petal on my seagrass rug in my bedroom so you can make a pilgrimage to my house to experience this way of praying.

You may become as hooked as I. Grace Cathedral in San Francisco was where I first walked a labyrinth.


On Friday, the chairs will be removed and all are free to walk the labyrinth. I can hardly wait. This is one of the oldest in the world. More to come on Friday.


PS Day 2 I made a statement that more female statues held books than male statues. I stand corrected. On further investigation, I found many monk looking men holding books also. I am just excited that in the age of illiteracy, there were women who were considered learned. Three cheers for those women!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment